At Pro Smile Dental Care in Danville, CA, we understand the embarrassment and distress that comes with chronic bad breath. Fortunately, several dental treatments can help ease this problem, and there are also steps you can take at home to maintain a fresh, clean, and healthy mouth.
What Is Causing My Breath To Stink?
Bad breath can be very frustrating. Also known as halitosis, in some cases, it could indicate a serious medical condition, such as a GI disorder or diabetes. You’ll need to see a physician to treat those illnesses. However, the most common causes can be remedied at home or through dental treatment.
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Certain Food & Drinks
- Tobacco Use
- Denture Use
- Gum Disease
- Respiratory Tract Or Sinus Infections
How To Fix Bad Breath At Home
Fortunately, most cases of halitosis are temporary and easily fixed. Halitosis is most often caused by a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. Here are a few simple steps you can take at home to improve your oral hygiene and prevent bad breath.
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice every day.
- Try tongue scraping. Your tongue can harbor bacteria that contribute to bad breath; tongue scraping or brushing can help to remove these bacteria.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated.
- Avoid foods and drinks that can cause stinky breath, like garlic, onions, and coffee.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless candy to increase saliva flow.
- Quit smoking or using other forms of tobacco.
- If you have dentures, clean them thoroughly every day.
Your Dentist Can Help Treat Chronic Bad Breath
If you have excellent oral hygiene but still suffer from halitosis, it’s essential to see a doctor or dentist to pinpoint the underlying cause. Once medical causes like acid reflux and diabetes are eliminated, your family dentist may be able to perform or prescribe simple treatments that can help to eliminate bad breath.
- Dental Cleaning: Getting your teeth professionally cleaned is one of the most effective ways to achieve fresher breath by removing smelly plaque and tartar from your teeth.
- Fluoride Treatment: Because it helps keep your teeth healthy and strong, fluoride treatment can help to reduce bad breath caused by cavities.
- Antibacterial Mouthwash: Many dentists recommend mouthwashes containing ingredients that kill the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Dry Mouth Therapy: If you have dry mouth, there is not enough saliva to help wash away the bacteria that cause halitosis. Dry mouth treatments can help to increase saliva production.
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealants can help prevent tooth decay and bad breath by keeping food and plaque from sticking to the surfaces of your teeth.
Bad Breath Treatment In The East Bay Area
Don’t let halitosis or other dental problems continue to plague you. Our friendly family dentist at Pro Smile Dental Care in Danville, CA can help you get rid of bad breath. Call today to schedule an appointment for a dental exam and cleaning.