Struggling to close that gap in your smile? We offer various gap teeth treatment options to address dental spacing issues at Pro Smile Dental Care, serving Danville and the East Bay Area. Did you know that a gap tooth smile, also known as diastema, can affect your confidence and oral health?
We invite you to learn more about our available treatment options so you can make an informed dental decision and finally sport the healthy, confident smile you’ve always wanted.
What Causes Spaces Between Front Teeth?
- Genetics: You may inherit a natural space between your front teeth from your parents.
- Thumb-Sucking Or Pacifier Use: These habits in childhood can lead to the development of a front teeth gap.
- Gum Disease: In rare cases, gum disease can cause supporting tissue to deteriorate, creating extra spaces.
- Tongue Thrusting: A forceful tongue thrusting habit can push the front teeth apart.
Who Does Gapped Teeth Affect?
Gap teeth can affect anyone, regardless of age or gender. It’s a common dental occurrence, and many live with this condition without issues. However, for some, it may become a matter of concern, either cosmetically or functionally.
While some people embrace their unique smile, you may want to seek treatment, especially to address any related oral health concerns.
How Does Dental Spacing Affect Your Health?
- Speech Difficulties: Gaps may affect how you pronounce some sounds, causing speech challenges.
- Food Trapping: Spaces between the teeth can trap food particles, leading to an increased risk of cavities and gum disease if not properly cleaned.
- Self-Esteem: You may feel self-conscious about your gap, impacting your self-esteem and confidence.
Does Diastema Need To Be Fixed?
Whether or not you should fix gap teeth depends on individual preferences and functional concerns. Gap teeth treatment is not always necessary when the issue is purely cosmetic. However, you may opt for treatment to improve speech and address oral hygiene concerns. Ultimately, the decision to seek treatment is between you and your cosmetic dentist.
Gap Teeth Treatment Options
- Dental Bonding – Dental bonding involves applying a tooth-colored resin to fill some extra space. It’s a quick and cost-effective cosmetic procedure that provides immediate results.
- Clear Aligners – Clear aligners, like Invisalign, can gradually shift teeth into your desired position, closing unwanted spaces. This approach may take several months to achieve the desired results.
- Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain veneers are custom-made, wafer-thin shells covering each tooth’s front surface, effectively concealing the space. This option provides a natural-looking result but is more invasive and costly.
What Does The ADA Say About Dental Gaps?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recognizes that gap teeth, or diastema, can be a natural variation among individuals. They emphasize the importance of discussing concerns about your oral health or smile with a dentist. Your dentist can guide you on whether treatment is necessary and which options suit your case.
Affordable Treatments For Gap Teeth
The cost of gap teeth treatment varies depending on the chosen method and the case’s complexity. Dental bonding is generally the most affordable option, while treatments like porcelain veneers and orthodontic procedures can be more costly.
Your dentist can give you an accurate estimate after examining your unique dental structure and discussing your smile goals.
Fix Tooth Gaps In The East Bay Area
Whether or not your unique dental spacing directly threatens oral health, we understand it can impact your speech and self-esteem. Learn more about the gap teeth treatment options available to you, each with its own advantages and considerations. Contact us at Pro Smile Dental Care in Danville, CA, today. Our experienced team can provide expert guidance and personalized treatment options to help you achieve the smile of your dreams.